Latest News

A Letter from the Producer     April 20, 2013

To Nick's friends & Ours:

I know we've said this before, but I'm sorry that this documentary is taking so long to complete and that the wait has become bothersome. The film is being worked on right now, but I've decided to share exactly what has been holding things up, going back quite a bit.

After we returned to New York a year and a half ago with a lot of footage of Nick and the flood, we - young and recent film school graduates - thought that it was important to make a film that focused on everything we saw in North Dakota that summer, with the specific intention of getting festival attention. Once we realized that film wasn't clicking with festivals, we thought we would release it, as it was, during the Fall of 2012.

In truth, the first edit of the film wasn't very good, but what we lacked then in experience we make up for with integrity and shrewdness. Sure, we may have let it go too long before deciding to "hit reset" and go about it a different way, but we care a lot about this film and we will not release it until it is complete and worthy of your time. Nick would never release his game until it was good enough to meet his high standards and attention to detail, and I refuse to betray our honor, Nick's legacy, or the audience that has waited anxiously. You deserve a great and interesting documentary about Nick, and you are going to get that.

So now I am editing it myself, working on it every day, and it will get done. Since we're no longer making a film for festivals, I am editing a film for you. I want to impress you, entertain you, and leave you eagerly looking forward to our next film. I have everything riding on this film, the least of which is my reputation. The film is approximately 75% complete now. Also, I want you to know that I will start posting more regular updates to keep you entertained and informed until the day the film is released.

Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm. I'll have more for you soon.

Trevor Duwyn

Online Digital Release of The Platform Master Coming ASAP!     November 15, 2012

It's true, and it will truly happen as soon as possible. There has been a lot of waiting to see this film, and we haven't provided much information about when you can see it. That's all about to change very soon. We will make an official announcement about the iTunes and Direct Digital release ASAP!

The Platform Master Videos Get Over 100K Channel Views     November 1, 2012

As we are diligently gearing up for the film's release, we are delighted to celebrate over 100,000 YouTube channel views for The Platform Master's trailer and teasers. We know that you have been waiting to see the film for a while, so thank you for sticking with us!

Trailer For The Platform Master Crosses 70,000 Mark     June 20, 2012

Six months after it's premiere online, the trailer for 'The Platform Master' has been viewed over 70,000 times. We sincerely apprecaite all of the interest in the film, your comments, and everyone who has shown the trailer to someone else.

Second Teaser For The Platform Master Released     June 17, 2012

We're proud to launch a new teaser video for The Platform Master in anticipation of it's debut festival release in the next few months. Please check it out by clicking this link, and if you haven't seen it yet, watch the first teaser.

The Platform Master Trailer Hits 45,000 YouTube Views     January 20, 2012

After one month online, the trailer for 'The Platform Master' has received over 45,000 views. Thank you to everyone who has watched the video and a special thanks for those who have shared with others.

The Platform Master Trailer Debuts on YouTube     December 20, 2011

Today is the official launch of the trailer for 'The Platform Master', a feature length documentary about Internet celebrity 'Ulillillia' and the devastating Summer 2011 flood in Minot, North Dakota. Please check out the video and share it with your friends!

Film Crew Returns After 6 Weeks In North Dakota     August 4, 2011

Shooting is wrapped! Packing up and heading back to NYC. North Dakota's been great, but it's time to go home.

Documentary Crew In Serious Car Accident En Route to Minot     June 30, 2011

Written By Jared Ian Mills

Driving along a small highway in North Dakota on our way to Minot, we were stopped by a sign telling us that the road was flooded. Just up ahead, through the glare of the sun, we could see that the highway abruptly ended and what looked like a lake began. As far as we could see, the road and nearby farmland was covered in water. Adding to the oddness of the situation, just at the edge of the water, a farmer worked steadily, plowing what was left of his fields. We knew that Minot was flooded, but we were about a hundred miles away. None of us knew how extensive the flooding was until that moment and to be honest, we were excited. This was our first time making a feature film and our first time entering into a disaster zone.

We stopped for about an hour to get some footage of the flood and take some still photos. When we finished we packed up our gear and brought out our map, trying to find an alternate route. What we found was a path through a series of seldom-traveled dirt roads. Buzzard drove, Jeff rode shotgun, and I sat in the back on the passenger’s side. With all of us being from significantly more populated areas, we were unused to traveling on dirt roads with no traffic signals or stop signs. I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but as we approached an intersection I saw another car heading towards us on our right side. I don’t know why they didn’t stop, and I don’t know why Buzzard didn’t stop, but the last thing I remember is Jeff shouting “Stop! Stop!” as my stomach sank and I realized what was going to happen.

My mind went blank for a few seconds and the next thing I knew, we were in a ditch on the side of the road and our horn wouldn’t stop its incessant drone. My door was stuck shut, so I had to climb to the front of the car to get out. Jeff and Buzzard had already gotten out and I rushed to them and the passengers of the other car to make sure that everyone was okay. I saw that the driver of the other car was a teenage girl and her passengers were even younger. The kids were crying and one of them was bleeding from a small cut, but it seemed like everyone was going to be fine. We were lucky. The other car had hit us just inches away from where Jeff was sitting. Who knows what could have happened if he was hit dead on? I knew how rattled I was when I realized that it took me about ten minutes to notice that my glasses weren’t on, and I can barely see without them. They had flown off of my face and were somewhere in the car. I went to search for them as someone else called 9-1-1 to report the accident. As we waited for the ambulance and police to arrive, Jeff and I had the same idea at almost the same time: get out the camera and start shooting. That’s what filmmakers do.

After a while the ambulance and police came, along with the family of the people in the other car. We were all glad that nobody was injured, but now we were faced with another prospect: we were over two thousand miles from home in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle. The crash took place somewhere between the towns of Towner and Rugby. Towner has a population of about five hundred and doesn’t have a hotel. Rugby is a little larger with a population of nearly three thousand, but its only hotel was completely booked. It was the weekend of a celebration in town.

The most amazing thing about the entire experience was the friendliness and willingness to lend a helping hand that was shown by everyone we met in these small North Dakotan towns. A woman from the volunteer ambulance corps put us in touch with an elderly woman in Rugby who rents out bedrooms in her basement, usually to hunters. Luckily, the rooms were free that night and the ambulance drove us and all of our gear, free of charge, to the woman’s house. When we got there, within about five minutes of meeting us, the woman whose house we were staying in offered to let us borrow her car to drive to a store so that we could buy food because we, in her words, seemed like nice boys.

After a few hours of just sitting around and calming our nerves, we were finally able to sleep. In the morning we went to a gas station near the highway and held up a sign that read, “Stranded filmmakers need to hitch ride to Minot, WILL PAY". Within about ten minutes a man in a truck picked us up and drove of the rest of the way into Minot. He didn’t even take our money. It felt like the end of a journey, but it was really just the beginning. We still have the film to make.

Production Team Depart for North Dakota     June 26, 2011

Goodbye New York City. See you in six weeks.